Hugh Hefner incorporates HMH Publishing Co., Inc. in Delaware on October 1, 1953, and publishes Playboy Magazine in December 1953. The first issue features Marilyn Monroe on the cover, and sells more than 50,000 copies. Playboy’s first art director, Art Paul, reportedly designs the Playboy logo in about 10 minutes. Today, it is one of the most recognized trademarks in the world.
The Playboy Club and the Playboy Bunny are born. Selling “keyholder” memberships for $25 and charging $1.50 for drinks, cigarettes and meals, the first Playboy Club in Chicago is an instant hit.
Playboy introduces the Playboy Philosophy, written by Hugh Hefner in 25 installments in response to criticism of the magazine’s principles. The Playboy Foundation is established as the activist arms of the Playboy Philosophy.
Playboy purchases Playboy Mansion West in Los Angeles’ Holmby Hills. Hugh Hefner travels back and forth between Chicago and Los Angeles until the mid-70’s, at which point he makes Los Angeles his home.
Playboy Fashion debuts in Asia with its first free-standing boutique. The boutique’s success prompts Playboy to continue opening stores throughout the world.
Playboy’s 50th Anniversary celebration includes a special collectors’ issue of the magazine, release of limited-edition Playboy products, and lavish, exclusive parties at the Mansion and New York Armory as well as public parties nationwide.
Playboy Condoms reaches distribution in 127 countries around the globe and launches its 1st Official Video – The Chase with the slogan “Seductively Safe”.
With continued growth & global success, Playboy Condoms launches new commercial & campaign “RESPECT YOUR PARTNER.™” focusing on mutual respect, responsibility and equality in the bedroom.
© 2020 Playboy Enterprises International, Inc. Playboy and the Rabbit Head Design are trademarks of Playboy Enterprises International, Inc.
and used under license by Thai Nippon Rubber Industry PLC.